We’ve been getting a taste of spring with melting snow and sunny skies, yet, growing up in Minnesota has taught me to not get too excited and break out the shorts just yet. This week’s forecast seems to prove my point with both rain and snow expected. However, it’s the perfect time to start planning some outside centric activities to celebrate the nice weather and more hours of sunlight! I love spring because when the sun’s out so are people, and while I have grown to love spending time at home I’m reminded how much I’ve missed social interaction; if you can relate to that last statement, Minneapolis is the place to be with tons of options for outdoor, spring fun!
I know we’re all sick of being cooped up inside, but as an effort to keep the ongoing pandemic in mind, I wanted to keep these ideas somewhat social-distancing friendly by encouraging movement and keeping them outdoors.
Top 5 Places to Visit this Spring in Minneapolis-St.Paul
- Walker Art Center Sculpture Garden: Entrance to the garden is free and features over 40 art pieces! Switch up your neighborhood walk routine and take a stroll through the grass to see the iconic spoonbridge cherry- this is also the perfect place to spice up your Instagram feed!
- Minnesota Zoo and Como Park Zoo: Visit the Minnesota Zoo for their “Farm Babies” exhibit to welcome all kinds of baby farm animals to the zoo or visit the Como Park Zoo for their beautiful flower show and to check out Como Town Amusement Park for ages 2-12. The zoo is fun for the whole family and is a great chance to get out and walk around in the sun while looking at fun animals.
- Minnehaha Regional Park and Falls: As the snow and ice melts, the falls start rushing and become a beautiful oasis. The falls are a Minneapolis treasure and the perfect place for a picnic, hike, or bike ride.
- Minnesota Twins Game: Nothing says spring entertainment like baseball; head to Target Field for great food, drinks, baseball, and beautiful family memories! Twins home opener is April 7th, 2022 at 3:10PM.
- Eloise Butler Wildflower Garden and Bird Sanctuary: Words can’t do this garden justice, its beauty is something you have to see for yourself! This garden is home to over 500 species of plants and over 130 species of birds. You do have to pay to park, but there are hours worth of flowers and birds to see, follow the walking path for a tour through them all!
Event Honorable Mentions
Below are some other fun, can’t-miss events worth checking out in the Minneapolis area this spring!
- Minneapolis International Festival– March 26th, 2022 from 1:00PM-5:00PM at Central Gym Park
- Minnesota Craft Beer Festival- April 9th, 2022 at the Minneapolis Convention Center
- Art in Bloom- April 28th-May 1st, 2022 at the Minneapolis Institute of Art
- MSP International Film Festival- May 5th-May 19th, 2022 at various locations
- Minnesota Lynx Home Opener– May 8, 2022 at 6:00pm at the Target Center
- Black Fashion Week MN: Design of the Times– May 11, 2022 from 6:00pm-11:00pm at Paisley Park
Spring cleaning can wait! Give yourself a break and enjoy the nice weather- winter is long and hard, you deserve a walk in the sun!